Sip Nibble & Trip
The Art of Psychedelic Cuisine
By Jaden Rae
With the rise of boutique cannabis edibles, we don’t often turn to our own kitchens for an infused treat. But as a television chef, cookbook author and food blogger for the past 18 years, I’ve found there is something uniquely satisfying about whipping up a decadent dessert or creating a delicious appetizer that includes an extra-sensory experience. The act of having a good meal—a journey through distinct flavors, especially when shared with great company over stimulating conversation—is an art all its own. Enhancing that experience with the essence of certain plant medicines is a recipe for magic.
My name is Jaden Rae, and I want to show you how to make your meals and treats magical. Over the course of our monthly Sip Nibble & Trip column, I’m going to teach you the art of infused cooking and how you can incorporate some of nature’s greatest gifts into your own culinary creations (and no, you don’t have to be a master chef or extraction expert to achieve this!)
Tune in each month as we discuss a delicious new infused recipe or culinary technique, which will have you sip, nibbling and tripping on dishes like Blue Lotus Salad Dressing and Magic Mushroom Brownies.
In this inaugural column, we’re starting with two easy cannabis-infused treats, starting with Dreamland chocolates from Planet 13 (or any infused chocolates you prefer), Cannabis pop-rocks from Sonder, and Encore Edibles cannabis hard candies. Together, these salty-sweet elements converge with a fruity kick to create a decadent flavor profile that will have you salivating (and did we mention you’ll also probably have a pretty great body buzz?)
Cannabis “Crack” Grapes
Nope, there’s no crack in this recipe…the name refers to the hard, glass-like sugar coating that crackles at first bite, leading into a sweet and sour pop of fresh fruit! I highly suggest using a candy or meat thermometer, as getting the sugar to reach 300°F is essential for the “crack” stage. Feel free to experiment with different fruits, like strawberries and pineapple slices!
What’s the dosage? One package of Encore Edibles Sweet Stones contains 100mg of THC. If you use 20 grapes, each grape will contain 5mg of THC.
Makes 20 grapes, 5mg THC each
- 20 extra-large grapes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 package Encore Edibles Cannabis Infused Sweet Stones Hard Candy (100mg)
- Candy thermometer (a meat thermometer will work too)
- Let’s get ready: Wash the grapes and thoroughly dry each grape, or the sugar will not coat correctly. Skewer each grape with a toothpick, and set aside. Crush the hard candies and place in a small bowl and set aside. Line a baking sheet or plate with parchment paper or tin foil.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir the sugar, water and corn syrup for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is hot, bubbly and reaches 300°F with a candy or meat thermometer. (It is essential to let it reach 300°F, or the sugar will not harden.) Remove from heat.
- Holding the toothpick end, dip a grape into the sugar syrup, shake and let the excess drip off. A thin, light coating is all you need. Then, roll the grape into the crushed hard candy, and place on parchment paper to set. Repeat with remaining grapes. If the sugar solution becomes too thick, return to the stove and heat up again. Let the grapes cool completely before eating.
Cannabis Chocolate Dipped Treats with Infused Pop-Rocks
Sure, you could just enjoy a cannabis chocolate bar by itself, but why not create a dessert-worthy treat, combining dreamy, decadent chocolate, salty-crunchy pretzels and a surprising snappy explosion with infused pop-rocks?!
To prevent degrading the THC, it’s best to melt the chocolate slowly and gently with a double-boiler set up using two saucepans, or a saucepan with a heat-proof bowl on top. Feel free to play with dipping your favorite snacks, like kettle-cooked potato chips, fresh strawberries or even a fortune cookie.
What’s the dosage? Makes 10 large pretzels, 11mg THC each
- 1 bar Dreamland cannabis chocolate (100mg)
- 1 package Sonder Cannabis Space Crystals (10mg)
- 10 large pretzels or 20 small pretzels
- Popsicle sticks (optional)
- Two saucepans, one slightly larger than the other
- In a double broiler, melt the chocolate pieces: Fill the larger saucepan with 2” of water. Fit the smaller saucepan (or large heat-proof bowl) on top and inside. Add the chocolate pieces to the top pan. Bring the water to a simmer, and stir the chocolate as it melts. When chocolate has fully melted, turn off the heat.
- Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper, wax paper or tin foil. Set aside. Dip the pretzel into the melted chocolate, then place onto the plate to set. Let cool for a few minutes before sprinkling with the Space Crystals. Repeat with remaining pretzels. Let cool for 2 hours to set.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out our other column about psychedelics and plant medicines here in the Vegas Cannabis Magazine.
About the Author:
Jaden Rae is a Las Vegas resident, international best-selling author of the Microdosing Guide And Journal, cookbook author and a television chef. She hosts a free weekly Microdosing Mondays zoom call at MagicandGlow.com, a safe space to educate, inspire and support those on their psychedelic and plant medicine journey. She provides tools to enhance emotional well-being, find meaning, create magic, nourish souls and enrich lives. Jaden has been featured on the Today Show, The Early Show, Martha Stewart Radio, Fox Business News, Parents Magazine, and more. You can find her on Instagram @magicandglowco.
Read The Full Article On Vegas Cannabis Magazine