Magic Mushroom Whippit Lemon Tek
By Jaden Rae
Disclaimer: We do not encourage illegal activity. Check with and adhere to your local laws. We do not claim psychedelics or plant medicine to be a substitute for professional medical care. Always consult with your doctor. The goal of this article is to promote safety and education.
In last month’s Vegas Cannabis Magazine, we taught you how to perform your first magic mushroom or psilocybin mushroom extraction using the Lemon Tek method! (Be sure to check it out on vegascannabismag.com if you missed it!) This month, we’re taking Lemon Tek extraction to the next level with a variation I invented called the Whippit Lemon Tek.
What is Whippit Lemon Tek?
Whippit Lemon Tek is my favorite extraction tek (tek is short for technique). It utilizes a whippit (or whipping siphon) and whip cream chargers. It combines fan-favorite Lemon Tek with the most effective way to extract inexpensively at home: nitrous oxide.
The Story Behind Whippit Lemon Tek
I created this tek while on the phone with popular YouTube mycologist and friend, Willy Myco. I was peppering him with questions on citric acid’s effect on psilocybin extraction and other nerdy mycology stuff. During our convo, I was rolling a lemon around in my hand, using it like a squeezy stress ball, and in the other hand, I was twirling around a small, nitrous oxide charger. I tend to get fidgety on calls!
In the middle of Willy’s explanation, I interrupted him.
“WILLY!!!! OMG. WHAT IF…..”
The moment we hung up, I immediately brought out 2 pounds of lemons, grabbed a fistful of N2O chargers and my whippit.
What Are The Benefits Of Whippit Lemon Tek?
- Better extraction
- Faster extraction
- Cold extraction
- You can also use high proof ethanol (like 190 proof Everclear) for an alcohol extraction, or hot or cold water for a water extraction. In this recipe, we are using lemon juice.
- You can also use this tek for cannabis (use 190 proof Everclear)
What is a Whippit?
Whippit is a slang term for “whipping siphon,” an inexpensive device that turns heavy cream into luscious, fluffy whipped cream, using small, disposable nitrous oxide chargers. On Amazon, you can find a whipping siphon for around $35, and a box of 100 chargers for less than $1 each. Recreational users use the whippit to inhale the nitrous for a short psychedelic experience. But, don’t try that at home, kids…it kills brain cells.
What Role Does Nitrous Oxide Play In Whippit Lemon Tek?
In addition to making the best whipped cream you’ve ever had, a whipping siphon is also used to infuse the flavors, aromas, and terpenes of a solid food into a liquid. For example, adding fresh jalapeno and vodka into a whipping siphon and charging the device with nitrous oxide will infuse the vodka with the flavors and spiciness of the pepper, creating jalapeno-infused vodka.
Having a background in culinary arts, I thought… “If whipping syphons can work as an extraction tool in the culinary world, why not mycology extraction too?”
With the mushroom and lemon juice mixture under pressure, the N2O helps the liquid pass more freely through the cell walls, allowing the lemon tek to more efficiently penetrate the fungi structure and convert the now exposed psilocybin to psilocin. When the gas is purged from the whipping siphon, it rapidly lowers the pressure inside the vessel, causing the psilo-infused liquid to rapidly evacuate from the mushroom fruit bodies.
Simply put, the pressurized vessel and N2O provides a more effective, more efficient extraction, as more citric acid will co-mingle with the alkaloids in the mushrooms. The poured-off liquid is your finished product: Whippit Lemon Tek.
How To Make Whippit Lemon Tek
This recipe will make 1/2 cup of lemon tek, with 4 grams of magic mushrooms (1 ounce of Whippit Lemon Tek will contain 1 gram of magic mushroom). In general, Lemon Tek creates a more potent, but shorter duration trip, and the onset is much quicker, usually 20 minutes.
Microdose: Pour the Whippit Lemon Tek into a clean 1 ounce glass dropper bottle. 1 ml dropperful = 300mg dose. A typical microdose is 100mg-300mg.
Low dose: 200mg-1 gram
Medium dose: 1 -3.5 grams
High dose: 3-5 grams
Heroic dose: above 5 grams
What You’ll Need:
- 4 grams dried whole magic mushrooms of your choice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- Whippit/Whipping Siphon)
- 2 small, disposable N2O chargers (whipped cream chargers – make sure they are not “soda chargers”)
- mesh strainer
- Break up the whole mushrooms with your fingers, a chef’s knife or mortar & pestle, to fit all the mushrooms into the whippit siphon. You can grind in a coffee grinder or food processor, but it may be difficult to strain out later.
- Add lemon juice into the whippit siphon. The juice should cover all of the mushrooms.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to charge with the first N2O charger. Shake gently 3 times.
- Charge whippit with second N2O charger. Shake gently 3 times.
- Let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Keep the whippit upright, and release the pressure (do not hold upside down). Open the whippit, and pour out the lemon juice mixture into a glass fitted with a strainer to catch the spent mushrooms. Use a spoon to press any remaining juice from the mushrooms and gently squeeze the solids to get all of your extraction.
Whippit Lemon Tek FAQs
- Can I use fresh mushrooms? Yes, but you won’t be able to fit a lot of mushrooms into the whippit. Using dried mushrooms for a more potent extraction.
- Can I use more dried mushrooms and less lemon juice for a more concentrated extraction? Yes, just make sure you have enough lemon juice to cover all of the mushroom matter.
- Can I use ground mushrooms? Technically, yes, but you’ll have a hard time straining all of the mushroom matter out. If you are consuming the lemon juice with the ground mushroom (without straining) then you’re all good. But, if you’d like to strain the mushrooms out, then leaving them roughly chopped or crushed with your fingers is your best bet.
- Can I use store-bought, bottled lemon juice? Yes you can. But, do you really want all those added preservatives? Fresh squeezed lemon juice works best.
- Can I use lime juice, orange juice or grapefruit juice? Lime juice pH (pH 2.40) is close to the pH in lemon juice (pH 2.30), which is close to stomach acid (where psilocybin converts to psilocin). Orange and grapefruit juice will not work.
- How should I store Whippit Lemon Tek and how long will it last? Refrigerate in a glass jar (non-metal) with a tight fitting lid (like a mason jar!). I’ve kept a jar in the refrigerator for 3 weeks and it’s just as potent as when I first put it in. Whippit Lemon Tek lasts longer than traditional Lemon Tek, because the N2O acts as a preservative and anti-bacterial.
- Can I freeze Whippit Lemon Tek? For best results, keep it refrigerated. Freezing Whippit Lemon Tek (or any psilocybin extraction) is not a good idea. Frozen liquid creates sharp shards, which in turn destroy the psilocybin (which is not a very stable compound)
- Do you have a video of this tek? Yes! Look me up on Instagram @magicandglowco.
- What else can I do with this Whippit Lemon Tek? Other than drinking it straight, here are some more ideas: ◦ Honey Lemon Tea: Add more hot water and a spoonful of lemon for a sweet tea. ◦ Bottle as a tincture: Make a more concentrated brew (more mushrooms, less lemon juice) and bottle the extraction in a tincture bottle. Refrigerate for storage, up to 90 days. ◦ Make ginger beer, and replace the regular lemon juice with Whippit Lemon Tek juice for Psilocybin Ginger Beer! ◦ Make Psilocybin Iced Tea ◦ Replace some of the regular water in making gummies with the Whippit Lemon Tek to make magical gummies.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out our other column about a legal psychedelic: the Amanita Muscaria mushroom.
About the Author:
Jaden Rae is a Las Vegas resident and best-selling author of the Microdosing Guide And Journal. She hosts a free online community at MagicandGlow.com and provides tools to enhance emotional well-being, find meaning, create magic, nourish souls and enrich lives. Jaden has been featured on the Today Show, The Early Show, Martha Stewart Radio, Fox Business News and more. You can find her on Instagram @magicandglowco. Come experience “Psychedelic Journey without Psychedelics” June 17th at the Radiance Wellness & Music Festival at Area 15, with Matisyahu and The Original Wailers headlining.