This is my favorite extraction tek! It does require a whippit, or whipping siphon (between $35-$150) and nitrous oxide or whipping cream chargers (0.60 each).
Why I love this tek: It combines fan-favorite lemon tek with the most effective way to extract: nitrous oxide.
I created this tek on the phone with Willy Myco. I was peppering him with questions on citric acid’s effect on psilocybin extraction and other nerdy mycology stuff.
I’m what you call an extreme fidgeter, especially on zoom calls.
So, in my right hand, I was rolling a lemon in my hand, using it like a squeezy stress ball, and in the other hand, I was twirling around a small, nitrous oxide charger.
In the middle of Willy’s explanation, I interrupted him, “WILLY!!!! OMG. WHAT IF…..” The moment we hung up, I immediately brought out 2 pounds of lemons, grabbed a fistful of N2O chargers and the whippit.
What is Nitrous Oxide?
Nitrous oxide, or N2O as it is chemically known, is a sedative that is infamously referred to as laughing gas is often times used in the food & beverage and brewing industries in place of carbon dioxide to pressurize kegs or canisters or beer, coffee, and of course, fluffy whipped cream.
Many psychonauts inhale the nitrous oxide with the whippit as “hippy crack” for euphoria and a quick high. This use is dangerous, easily abused and addictive. Instead of inhaling the N2O, let’s use it in a less harmful manner: psilocybin extraction and psilocin conversion.
How does Nitrous Oxide Work?
In molecular gastronomy, a whipping siphon is also used to infuse the flavors, aromas, and terpenes of a solid food into a liquid.
For example, adding a fresh jalapeno and vodka into a whipping siphon, and charging the device with nitrous oxide will infuse the vodka with the flavors and spiciness of the pepper, creating jalapeno infused vodka.
It works as an extraction tool in the culinary world.
So, why not extraction in the mycology world, as well?
Adding chopped, dried mushrooms along with lemon juice (citric acid) will do the same thing.
WIth the mushroom and lemon juice mixture under pressure, the N2O helps the liquid pass more freely through the cell walls, allowing the lemon tek to more efficiently penetrate the fungi structure and convert the now exposed psilocybin to psilocin. When the gas is purged from the whipping siphon, it rapidly lowers the pressure inside the vessel, causing the psilo-infused liquid to rapidly evacuate from the mushroom fruit bodies.
The poured off liquid will now be the finished product: Whippit Lemon Tek.
Simply put, the pressurized vessel and N2O provides a more effective, more efficient extraction, as more citric acid will co-mingle with the alkaloids in the mushrooms.
Benefits of Whippit Lemon Tek:
- Better extraction
- Fast extraction
- Cold extraction
- Use any citric acid (lemon juice, lime juice, grapefruit juice)
- You can also use high proof ethanol (like Everclear or culinary ethanol) for an alcohol extraction, and also hot or cold water for a water extraction.
Whippit Lemon Tek Recipe
Dosage: 0.50 grams per 1 tablespoon lemon juice
I prefer using whole, dried mushrooms to make it easy to strain out the mushrooms, but you can also use powdered mushrooms, and either strain in a coffee filter, or just leave it in and drink.
What You Will Need:
- 4 grams dried whole mushrooms of your choice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
Whippit or Whipping siphon
- 2 N2O chargers
- Coffee filter (basket style made of paper)
- Break up the whole mushrooms with your fingers, a chef’s knife or mortar & pestle, to fit all the mushrooms into the whippit. Do not grind in a coffee grinder or food processor.
- Add lemon juice into the whipping siphon. The juice should cover all of the mushrooms.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for whippit to charge with the first N2O charger. Shake gently 3 times.
- Charge whippit with second N2O charger. Shake gently 3 times.
- Let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure (follow manufacturer’s instructions). Pour out the lemon juice mixture into a glass fitted with a strainer and coffee filter to catch the mushrooms. Use a spoon to press any remaining juice from the mushrooms and gently squeeze the solids to get all of your extraction.
Whippit Lemon Tek FAQ:
- Can I use fresh mushrooms? Yes, but you won’t be able to fit a lot of mushrooms into the whippit. Using dehydrated mushrooms for a more potent extraction.
- Can I use more dried mushrooms and less lemon juice for a more concentrated extraction? Yes, just make sure you have enough lemon juice to cover all of the mushroom matter.
- Can I use ground mushrooms? Technically, yes, but you’ll have a hard time straining all of the mushroom matter out. If you are consuming the lemon juice with the ground mushroom (without straining) then you’re all good. But, if you’d like to strain the mushrooms out, then leaving them roughly chopped or crushed with your fingers is your best bet.
- Can I use store-bought, bottled lemon juice? Yes you can. But, do you really want all those preservatives they add into the bottle? Fresh squeezed lemon juice works best.
- Can I use lime juice, orange juice or grapefruit juice? Lime juice pH (pH 2.40) is close in pH to lemon juice (pH 2.30) – which is close to stomach acid (where psilocybin converts to psilocin).
- Lemon juice pH 2.3 (ideal)
- Lime juice pH 2.4
- Orange juice pH 3.5
- Grapefruit juice pH 2.9-3.3
- How many lemons will it take to make ½ cup? An average lemon will yield ¼ to ⅓ cup of lemon juice. For best results, choose a lemon with thin skin and feels heavy for its size. Roll the lemon on the counter with the palm of your hand. You can also microwave the lemon for 10 seconds to get maximum juice. Cut the lemon in half, and use a citrus press to squeeze out the juice.
- Is there a better way to get even MORE lemon juice!? Why yes, there is! I’m glad you asked. Super Lemon Juice Tek is a bartender’s secret to getting 8X more juice from a lemon than traditional squeezing. Here’s the recipe.
- How long will the Whippit Lemon Tek Last? Refrigerate in a glass jar (non-metal) with a tight fitting lid (a mason jar!) I’ve had a jar in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, and it’s just as potent. Willy Myco posted test results from Lemon Tek extraction, and found the following:
- Lemon Tek Extraction, immediately after extraction: 0.8% psilocybin, 4.6% psilocin
- After 3 months (90 days), stored in the refrigerator: 0.6% psilocybin, 4.7% psilocin. This is only a slight decrease in psilocybin (and a very slight increase in psilocin.)
- Whippit Lemon Tek lasts longer than traditional Lemon Tek, because the N2O acts as a preservative and anti-bacterial.
- Can I freeze Whippit Lemon Tek? For best results, keep refrigerated. Freezing the Whippit Lemon Tek (or any psilocybin extraction) is not a good idea – liquid frozen creates sharp shards, which in turn destroys the psilocybin (psilocybin is not a very stable compound).
- What else can I do with this Whippit Lemon Tek? Other than drinking it straight, here are more ideas:
- Honey Lemon Tea: Add more hot water and a spoonful of lemon for a sweet tea.
- Bottle as a Tincture: Make a more concentrated brew (more mushrooms, less lemon juice) and bottle the extraction in a tincture bottle. Refrigerate for storage, up to 90 days.
- Make ginger beer, and replace the regular lemon juice with Whippit Lemon Tek juice for Psilocybin Ginger Beer!
- Make Psilocybin Iced Tea
- Replace some of the regular water in making gummies with the Whippit Lemon Tek.
Super Lemon Juice Recipe
What You Will Need:
- Fresh lemon
- 4.8 grams citric acid powder
- 4.8 grams lemon peels
- 2.7 ounces Water
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the lemons, avoiding the white pith. Transfer all peels into a bowl, and toss with the citric acid powder. Let sit for 2 hours or up to overnight at room temperature.
- When the peels are ready, place the entire mixture into a blender. Squeeze the juice from the peeled lemons and transfer to the blender. Add in _2.7__ ounces of water. Blend until all is liquified (about 30 seconds), and strain well in a cheesecloth or coffee filter/mesh strainer. Squeeze to get as much juice out as possible. Discard any solids and bottle the Super Lemon Juice in a glass (non-metal) container, like a mason jar. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Super Lemon Juice FAQ:
- Can I use Super Lemon Juice in Whippit Lemon Tek? Yep!
- Why does Whippit Lemon Tek last longer in the refrigerator than just plain lemon juice? The N2O acts as a preservative and anti-bacterial, helping keep the lemon juice fresh.
- Can I store the Super Lemon Juice in a plastic container? Yes. Plastic or glass (I prefer glass). Just no metal container – acid corrodes metal.
- Can I freeze Super Lemon Juice? Yes. Freeze extra Super Lemon Juice in ice cube trays, plastic freezer bag, or container. Defrost completely before using.
- What else can I use Super Lemon Juice for? ANYTHING that calls for lemon juice.